As stated on the lwv.org website: “Soon after the League’s founding, the decision was made to take positions on issues but to neither support nor oppose any political party or candidate (appointed or elected) for public office. Today, this policy continues to ensure that the League’s voice is heard above the tumult of party politics.”
Positions are taken at the national, state, and local level. Positions taken at the local and state level cannot contradict positions taken at higher levels in the organization.
National LWV Positions [PDF]
Massachusetts State LWV Positions [PDF]
Our Local Positions
The League of Women Voters is strictly nonpartisan; it neither supports nor opposes candidates for office at any level of government. However, the League does take positions on local, state and national issues. The positions currently held by the Westford League are listed below.
- Child Care Position – 1984
- Education Position – 1980
- Education Position – 1987
- Historic District Position – 1980
- Housing Position – 2005
- Local Land Use/Natural Resources Position – 1980
- Town Budget Process Position – 1990
- Town Government Position – 1974, 1982
- Town Human Services Position – 1991
- Town Meeting Position – 1997